Wednesday, June 08, 2005

That from a long way off look like flies

: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 15:42:41 -0600
To: Ava

Brief Correspondance

The collapse of our age-old distinction between Same and the Other. this passage quotes a "certain Chinese encyclopedia" in which it is written that "animals are divided into: (a) belonging to the Emperor, (b) embalmed, (c) tame, (d) sucking pigs, (e) sirens, (f) fabulous, (g) stray dogs, (h) included in the present classification, (i) frenzied, (j) innumerable, (k) drawn with a very fine camelhair brush, (l) et cetera, (m) having just broken the water pitcher, (n) that from a long way off look like flies." In the wonderment of this taxonomy, the thing we apprehend in the great leap, the thing that, by means of the fable, is demonstrated as the exotic charm of another system of thought, is the limitation of our own, the stark impossibility of thinking that.
but why is it impossible to think?
and what kind of impossibility are we faced with here?
I don't know who's crazier foucault or the author of that encyclopedia.
how are you mon-amie, you sound well. well enough for now. polyurethaneing your prints is a wonderful idea, I've been sinking a lot of things in resin myself, you're right about the fumes, but it's usually worth it.
i think i may be drinking too much, picking my nose, my belly it grows.
things go well here, I've found more than enough reason to go on living and little reason not to. I love you, I need to see your face, your funny eyebrows and crooked teeth,
You know I know you're beautiful.
don't leave anytime soon, my package must land safely.

ryan


Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:01:30 -0500
To: Ryan
i see the swarms and think of you...

i need to know WHAT Chinese encyclopedia that was quoted from.
Anna is here. well not in my room, but in NYC. She is a good one as you well know... i want so much to see your work now. are you sending me songs? please do. i want to make things with you from afar. should I send you something or should I wait...
ooh i have to run at this moment.
more soon... meloberschu. ( i love you ) (( very much))


ave

No comments: