Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Space Between



Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art East Annex Art
Installation - flock
Architect: International Architects Atelier
Artist: Anne Lindberg

With thanks to Anne Lindberg who offered a wonderful critique of my work last week with tangents ranging from African dance that has an emphasis on the space between the dancer and the earth, to Japanese MA, The Japanese spatial concept experienced progressively through intervals of spatial designation. MA, the word for space, suggests interval. It is best described as a consciousness of place, not in the sense of an enclosed three-dimensional entity, but rather the simultaneous awareness of form and non-form deriving from an intensification of vision.

3 comments:

Steven LaRose said...

Right on! I love learning something so important. Its not "absence", or "void", or even "negative-space". Maybe "liminal" comes close. But "Ma" is so beautiful "it is the thing that takes place in the imagination of the human who experiences". Thanks.

Ryan MacDonald said...

Yes, I was really taken with Anne Lindberg's thought process, MA was especially beautiful. I can really see how it applies in your drawings as well.

Steven LaRose said...

It does seem to apply, doesn't it? Thanks for noticing. However, it seems an extremely powerfull 4D concept. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to read-up all I can on MA.