Wednesday, October 03, 2007

From our friends at Mcsweeney's








A SELECTION FROM
GEORGE W. BUSH'S
EAVESDROPPING TAPES:
MATTHEW BARNEY AND
BJÖRK PLACE AN IKEA
PHONE ORDER.

BY CHRIS MCCOY

- - - -

MATTHEW BARNEY: (On phone.) Matthew. Barney. Sure. It's called the Flärke. F-L-A-R-K-E. It's a bookshelf.

BJÖRK: (In background.) Ask if they have an aluminum igloo.

MATTHEW BARNEY: (Muffled.) I'm on hold. I'll check when he gets back on.

BJÖRK: (Giggling.) Imagine if clouds were made of licorice!

MATTHEW BARNEY: Flärke. With an umlaut over the a. Also, my wife was curious if you sold aluminum ... Yes, I can hold again.

BJÖRK: The winter makes me feel particularly blinkered.

MATTHEW BARNEY: The Flärke is in stock? Great. Another quick question. My wife is Scandinavian and she was wondering if you had any aluminum ... All right, I can hold.

BJÖRK: Icelanders complete the echo with feel.

MATTHEW BARNEY: You're kidding me. If you can't deliver it, why do you have the option to order by phone?

BJÖRK: Pandas are sexy.

3 comments:

bittermelon said...

i'd hate to give props to mcsweeney's, but dang that is some good $hit!

Anonymous said...

Good or not.... This is older than the Internet.

Ryan MacDonald said...

Mcsweeney's aint so bad, I thought it was pretty funny too.

And to anonymous, I'm not sure what "older than the internet" means. Does that mean that you scoff at things that pre-exist the internet? Does it mean that the joke is no longer funny, has become pastiche and therefore, not funny, due to its being older than the internet? Or do you simply mean that, whether the item is good or not, its age, in that it is older than the internet, makes it very, very funny?

Thank's for your comments