Tuesday, April 08, 2008

David Harrison




Below is the opening of a short essay I wrote not too long ago about
the work of David Harrison.
David is as much a wonderful teacher as he is a painter.
In many ways I credit David alone for changing the way I see, and for propelling me into the far more advanced, or at least attractive, work I do now (though I think he would have some serious criticisms).



Hans Hoffman once said, the ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.

The paintings of David Harrison perfectly reflect this ability. By chipping away any signs of representation, both figurative and architectural, Harrison’s pieces become figures unto themselves, singular architectural forms standing poignantly on their own in a newly discovered space.

1 comment:

Paul Shortt said...

Nice write up on David's website.